Tunica County claims ties to White House
James K. Polk is best known for adding large portions of land to the nation during his tenure as 11th president of the United States, but once upon a time, he owned a small parcel of land in Tunica County, Mississippi.
Locals still reference an area of land in northern Tunica County as the Polk Place, but James K. Polk was not among owners of that property. Recently discovered land records from the Chancery Clerk’s office show that on May 1, 1847, Polk purchased a section of land “lying and being in the county of Tunica and state of Mississippi.” The legal description is “Section 23 of Township 5 of Range 11 west in the Chickasaw Cessions.” That area lies in the east central section of Tunica County, not far from the Tate County line.
Land records show that Polk acquired the land from James Brown and his wife Mary A. Brown of Lafayette County, Mississippi. Polk is listed as a resident of “Washington City” while he served as U.S. President from 1845 to 1849. He paid $80 in cash for the property.
District 1 debate July 7 closed out 2015 series In the fifth and...
Times serving as drop off for Batesville Elementary relief effort The Tunica Times office...
Local family is raising melanoma awareness Though it did not...
Judge rules for town, schools Special Circuit Judge...
School board dismissed as state takes over Mississippi governor...